Week 10



Wow it's the final week! It seems like I just started this project and it is already coming to an end. Anyway, I'll get right into it.

First an update: the Gilbert Christian event that was supposed to happen this week ended up getting cancelled by the high school and they decided to volunteer at the Restore instead, so the stepping stone activity was not actually used this week. It still can be used in the future though if any opportunity appears and it will be all planned out and convenient though!

The office was closed for Good Friday this week, so I only came in on Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday I continued to work on the Youth Presentations from last week, which I will give an example of below. This is just an example of one slide, which I have included the kind of before and afters of editing.

Original
slide original.PNG




Final


So essentially what I was doing was making the slides less dense and simpler so a kid would still be able to understand them. Of course, I didn’t just get rid of all of the information. I added the information from the original slide in the notes section of the new slide, wording it more simply, so that when presenting someone can just say all of that verbally. I thought that the kids were unlikely to read that big section of text, and likely would not be able to understand all of the words. Having the notes section encourages people to talk more casually instead of just reading from the slides, which I think all of us are learning with our Senior Research Projects.

Thursday (my last day!) I worked on the presentations some more and also helped label and cut post cards that were going out to former Habitat for Humanity board members (me and the paper cutter got to know each other very well). There were cupcakes and ... well that's it!

I just wanted to thank everyone who made this possible; my On-Site Mentor, Cassandra, as well as my faculty advisor Dr. Sahu and our group leader (??? is that the title I don't actually know) Ms. Conner. Finally, thanks to all of you guys for reading and commenting eachweek! I look forward to hearing from you for almost (we've still got the final post IT'S NOT OVER YET) the last time on this blog. So I wish you guys luck on APs and finals or whatever else you have as the school year ends and hope you have a good summer!

11 comments:

  1. Hi sarah, Great work this far and cilongrats on making it to the final week. What differences have you seen in the behavior of people who have to earn there houses? Thank you for considering my question, good luck with th e presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got cupcakes, and good luck on the final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, great work throughout your entire project and I wish you luck in your final presentation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for your detailed posts as well as the gifs you posted. Good luck on your final presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sarah. You have done such amazing work for your senior project. Your ideas are inspiring and I can see you're passion. I hope that you continue to keep helping. Good luck with your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done a great job throughout your entire senior project so congratulations! This entire project has sounded like an amazing opportunity and a hard one, but you did an amazing job with it. Good luck on your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sarah! It has been amazing to read your posts every week and learn more about Habitat for Humanity. How many slides did you end up going through in the end? That's seems like a lot of hard work to do. Congratulations on finishing your Senior Research Project and good luck on your presentation! Thank you for the great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done such amazing work so far. I wish you the best of luck on your presentation. I sounds like you have incorporated a lot from what you have learned on public speaking into your presentation. Thank you so much for keeping us all updated on the wonderful work you have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Great work thus far! I ju st had one small question nonetheless. How have you seen a difference in your character after working with this project? Thank you for considering my question.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's cool that you got to edit the slides to be easier to read. You mentioned you wanted to simplify them so a kid could understand it. What age range are these primarily targeted towards? Good luck with your final powerpoint!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Sarah! It's been great getting to read all about your experiences at Habitat and I can't wait to hear your presentation. You've done such a great job with your posts and I'm sad that we're nearing the end. Good luck with your slides!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com