Week 6

Happy St. Patty’s day everyone! Thankfully I was not sick this week, so it was back to work as usual.

source.gif

I took a break from the lesson plans to focus on finding an activity for the kids at Gilbert Christian to do since we will be coming to their school in April. The teachers their said they didn’t want a lesson plan or simulation, but instead something physical they could do at school. My On-Site mentor, Cassandra, also said that she wanted it to be something cheap they could make, costing 25 dollars or below.

With these constraints, I thought of making concrete stepping stones, which I used to do when I was little, because cement mix is really cheap and it's a fun project since you can imprint your handprints and decorate the concrete with marbles or stones. Getting the cement mix is easy and cheap, since each bag is about 4 dollars, however it was the molds that we would pour the cement into that proved to be problematic.

giphy (6).gif

When I made them as a kid, I just bought a cement mold which was about ten dollars, but that would be extremely expensive considering there are sixty kids who would each need their own mold. So I had to find an alternative to buying actual stepping stone molds. The first thing I did was try to find other people's solutions, which mainly seemed to involve buying a concrete form tube (this is basically a giant tube you pour concrete into to make posts) and cutting it up into two inch circular sections which you would pour the concrete into and then leave to dry on a plastic sheet. This would be over 25 dollars though, and require the kids to be in groups of three, so I tried to find another option.

I ended up with two options:

Option #1: Groups of 3 (Some groups of 2)

2 bags of Concrete Mix
$6.50
Concrete Tube Form
$11.52
Plastic Drop Sheets
$4.97
Topping Concrete
$5.97
Total:
$28.96

Other Materials:
Wheelbarrow/Bucket
Trowel/ something to smooth out concrete
Decoration materials

Potential Problems:
Tube form needs to be cut ahead of time
Stepping Stones would need to stay on drop sheets for several days; either staying in same location with a lot of room or cutting up the drop sheets into smaller sections
Kids would have to bring decoration materials

Option #2: Groups of 2 (Some groups of 3)

2 bags of Concrete Mix
$6.50
Plastic Drop Sheets
$4.97
Topping Concrete
$5.97
Decorative Gems
$8.97
Total:
$17.44 or $26.41

Other Materials:
Molds - Kids could bring in cereal boxes
Tape/Scissors - Maybe school could provide? To cut the cereal boxes
Wheelbarrow/Bucket
Trowel/ something to smooth out concrete
Decoration materials

Potential Problems:
Cereal box may get soggy and deform while concrete is drying
Kids would have to bring in cereal boxes and school would have to have tape and scissors
Kids would have to bring in decoration materials or there might not be enough

I talked to Cassandra and we decided that I should try using a cereal box as a mold, and if it worked we would use that method.

So umm tune back next week to find out if it works wow!!

giphy (2).gif

23 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!
    I hope you had a fun Saint Patrick's day and I enjoyed the gif that you put at the beginning. I'm sure that the kids at the school will love being able to decorate their own concrete stepping stones, it sounds like something I would have a lot of fun doing as a little kid. Its great that you have creating control over the project and get to design a fun activity for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sarah. Happy St. Patrick's Day. 🍀 That sounds like a bit of a dilemma you have there. I think that the stones are a great idea. I've never been able to do that, but it sounds like a lot of fun for the kids. If I wanted to get involved, what would you suggest I start with? Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! If you want to do the stepping stone project there are instructions right here http://gardentherapy.ca/hopscotch-stepping-stones/. If you want to get involved with Habitat for Humanity, a good start is joining the BASIS school club. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah!
    I hope the cereal boxes work out for the concrete to be molded in. I bet the children will enjoy creating their own individualized stones. It's amazing how you are so organized about the project. Thanks!
    -Vara

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like lots of fun, Sarah! The cereal box mold is such a creative idea, and I hope that it works out. Belated Happy St. Paddy's Day to you as well. I really like that gif, too! When you visit Gilbert Christian, will you explain to the kids how this relates to Habitat with a short talk or mini presentation? I look forward to hearing how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure if we will do a presentation or not, but I think the stepping stones will be donated to Habitat families or sold to raise money.

      Delete
  5. Have fun doing arts and crafts with concrete! What grade are you doing this activity with? Also are you giving any lesson plan along with the craft, or not because the teacher didn't want one? Good luck with the cement project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I think this is with middle/high school kids but I could be wrong I will ask my On-Site mentor. I don't think we will be doing a lesson plan, but the stones will most likely be donated to Habitat families.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the students at Gilbert Christian will have an exciting (and messy?) day in April! What is the purpose of the activity? Similar question to Serena's, will there be any guided lesson along with the activity? Or is it just an opportunity to show kids how building things can be fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Conner! This activity will introduce the kids to Habitat for Humanity and the stepping stones will most likely be donated to Habitat families. I don't know if there will be a presentation, but there will most likely be a brief description of Habitat for Humanity and its goals.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sarah! What a fun and interesting idea! I never actually did this ass a kid, but it sounds like it would be an exciting activity to do with other kids. What did you do with the molds afterwards? Did you get to keep them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I was little I kept the molds and reused them, but if we end up using the cereal box molds they will probably be pretty destroyed by the end of the project.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sarah! It sounds like you had to use some problem solving and math skills to figure out what method to use. I can not wait to see what method you end up using and hope that the project is fun for the students! But, what are the teachers at Gilbert Christian trying to achieve when doing this project? Also, will you be involved with leading the project at the school and teach the students about Habitat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The project mainly serves as an introduction to Habitat for Humanity and a way for the kids to help give to Habitat families since the stepping stones will most likely be donated to them. I will be going to the school to help with the project.

      Delete
  9. I'm sure these kids will have a great time doing this fun activity. I think it is a great idea to let them decorate their own concrete molds if that is within the budget and possible. Is there any specific reason you chose this activity? Can't look forward to next week to see what works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I mainly chose this activity because it was cheap and fun, but it is also a great activity because the stepping stones can be donated to Habitat families.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sarah! Wow you are such a creative person! As a kid i also loved to play around with cement. I am 100% willing to bet that the kids in Gilbert Christian would love your project.--Ismail Hamed 10

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember making these as a kid too! I hope everything works out for you cost wise because I think having something permanent to decorate and imprint in and have for a long time. Can't wait to see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow sarah, it looks like you are getting the hang of the financial aspect of your project. Is that something you want to go into? Thank you for considering my comment, Zand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life yet but that's definitely a possibility.

      Delete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com